Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Just get them involved!

My girls, Sam (2 years old) and Avery (four months old), are too little for most of the activities, games and lessons that I will talk about on here but there are certainly plenty of things that I am already doing with them to make sure that they love being outside and have an appreciation for the natural world.
Right now, in our new house, I am focusing on making sure that Sam is involved with yard work and has some ownership in the plants, flowers and yard. When I go out to weed she comes with me and "helps". Yesterday she was a big help in filling my pots and doing all the plantings that I wanted to get done. Even though this can make the choirs last twice as long it is great exposure for her and she also learns a lot while she works with me. With older kids I would suggest making outside time like this also learning time; you can talk about the parts of the plants, look for bugs in the dirt and discuss what plants need to survive (just a few of many possible topics!). It is all about just letting them get dirty and experience the outdoors.
This is perfect season to get your kids interested in what happens outside with the plants. So take just a little bit of time and money and let them pick out a flower from the store that can be all their own. Help them plant it and then teach them how to take care of it. Then leave me comments and let me know how it went!!

No comments:

Post a Comment